Vessel operators towing a person(s) on water skis, a surfboard, or any other device have specific equipment and observer requirements.
- The towing vessel must be able to observe the towed person(s). The towing vessel must have either:
- A person at least 12 years old, in addition to the boat operator, on board observing the towed person(s) or…
- The required number of wide-angle (170-degree field of vision) rearview mirror(s).
- If the towing vessel is a PWC, the PWC must be equipped with two wide-angle rearview mirrors.
- If the towing vessel is a boat (other than a PWC), the boat must be equipped with at least one wide-angle rearview mirror.
- All persons being towed behind a vessel on water skis or any other device must wear an adequate and effective life preserver, buoyant vest, or life belt. If the device worn by the skier is not USCG–approved, an approved wearable PFD must be on board the towing vessel.