The following are the requirements for vessel operators on West Virginia waters.
- All persons born after December 31, 1986: These boaters must complete a boating safety education course before operating a motorboat or personal watercraft (PWC) on West Virginia waters.
- Those 12 through 14 years of age: In addition to the boating safety education requirement, these boaters may operate a motorboat or PWC only if:
- A person 18 years of age or older is also on board the vessel or...
- The vessel’s motor is 10 horsepower or less.
- Any person who is required to complete a boating safety education course must carry the course completion certificate on board the vessel.
- No person, including a parent or the owner of a vessel, may authorize or knowingly permit another person who does not meet the requirements above to operate a motorized vessel.