Other Facts About Titling and Registering Your Vessel
Here are some additional facts about titling and registering your vessel.
- All motorized vessels (including sailboats that have a motor) purchased in West Virginia by the current owner after July 1, 1989, must have a title.
- A vessel's registration is valid for three years and expires on the last day of March in the year indicated on the Certificate of Number and decals. Owners of registered vessels will be sent a renewal notice automatically.
- If a numbered vessel is destroyed or abandoned, the owner must report it to the Commissioner of the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within 15 days of the event.
- If you change your address, you must notify the Commissioner of the DMV within 15 days of the change.
- Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG). Call the USCG at 1-800-799-8362 for more information. Documented vessels also must be registered with the DMV. Call the DMV at 1-800-642-9066 for more information.