Skip to main content

Course Outline

Here are some additional facts about titling and registering your vessel.

  • Beginning January 1, 2020, boats manufactured in 2020 and after are required to be titled through the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration Office of Motor Vehicles. (See Act 733 the 92nd Arkansas General Assembly Regular Session of 2019.)
  • The owner of a motorboat that requires registration must apply for the registration within 30 days of the date of purchase. The motorboat may be operated during this period if the owner has on board a dated proof of purchase.
  • A Certificate of Number is valid for three years.
  • If an outboard engine is purchased for a previously registered motorboat, the serial number of the engine must be provided to the Department of Finance and Administration (DFA).
  • If the ownership of a registered motorboat changes, the new owner must apply to the DFA for transfer of the registration within 30 days of the ownership change.
  • If a registered motorboat is abandoned or destroyed, the owner must notify the DFA within 15 days of the event and the Certificate of Number will be terminated.
  • If you lose or destroy your registration card or decals, you must apply for a duplicate and submit a processing fee.
  • Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the USCG. Call the USCG at 1-800-799-8362 for more information. Note: Documentation through the USCG does not relieve the owner of his or her responsibility to assess the motorboat for personal property taxes.

  • Unit 4 of 6
  • Topic 1 of 19
  • Page 4 of 6