If a Fire Erupts on Your Pleasure Craft
If fire erupts on your pleasure craft:
- If underway, stop the pleasure craft. Have everyone who is not wearing a lifejacket or PFD put one on in case you must abandon the pleasure craft.
- Position the pleasure craft so that the fire is downwind.
- If the fire is at the back of the pleasure craft, head into the wind. If the engine must be shut off, use a paddle to keep the bow into the wind.
- If the fire is at the front of the pleasure craft, put the stern into the wind.
- If the fire is in an engine space, shut off the fuel supply.
- Aim the fire extinguisher at the base of the flames, and sweep back and forth.
- Never use water on a gasoline, oil, grease, or electrical fire.
- Summon help with your VHF marine radio.