Here are the equipment requirements for personal watercraft (PWCs).
Personal Lifesaving Appliances
- One lifejacket or PFD for each person on board
- One buoyant heaving line at least 15 metres (49ʹ3ʺ) long*
- One reboarding device if the freeboard distance is over 0.5 metres (1ʹ8ʺ)*
Vessel Safety Equipment
- One manual propelling device* or one anchor with at least 15 metres (49ʹ3ʺ) of cable, rope, or chain*
- One bailer* or manual bilge pump*
One 5B:C fire extinguisher*
One watertight flashlight or three type A, B, or C flares (flares not required if the PWC meets one of the exemptions listed in the Small Vessel Regulations, Part 2, #213–Visual Signals)
- One sound-signalling device or appliance
- Navigation lights if the PWC is operated between sunset and sunrise or during periods of restricted visibility
- One magnetic compass; not required if the PWC:
- Is 8 metres (26ʹ3ʺ) or less in length and…
- Is operated within sight of navigation marks.
- One radar reflector unless the pleasure craft meets one of the exemptions listed in the Collision Regulations, Schedule 1, Rule 40 (Radar Reflectors)
*This equipment is not required if everyone on board is wearing an inherently buoyant lifejacket or PFD.