While Anchored and When Retrieving an Anchor
- After anchoring, take visual sightings of onshore objects or buoys in the water to help you know where your pleasure craft is positioned. While at anchor, recheck these sightings frequently to make sure the anchor is not dragging.
- Periodically check connecting knots on your anchor line. When possible, use splices instead of knots. Knots weaken a line more than splices.
Retrieving Your Anchor
Follow these steps to retrieve your anchor.
- Move the pleasure craft directly over the anchor while pulling in the line. Pulling the anchor straight up should break it free.
- If the anchor is stuck, turn your pleasure craft in a large circle while keeping the anchor line pulled tight.
- When the anchor breaks loose, stop the pleasure craft and retrieve the anchor. Never drag the anchor behind the pleasure craft.