The registration number and validation stickers must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to both sides of the forward half of the vessel, as high above the waterline as is practical.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the vessel.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high, vertical BLOCK letters.
- Number’s color must contrast with its background.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by spaces or hyphens: DC 3717 ZW or DC-3717-ZW.
- No other numbers may be displayed on either side of the forward half of the vessel.
- Sticker must be placed within six inches of the number.