Preventing a Collision
A collision occurs when your boat or PWC collides with another vessel or with a fixed or floating object, such as a rock, log, bridge, or dock. Collisions can cause very serious damage, injury, or even death. It is every vessel operator’s responsibility to avoid a collision.
To prevent a collision, boat and PWC operators should:
- Follow the rules of navigation.
- Pay attention to navigational aids.
- Keep a sharp watch and appoint one person to be the “lookout.”
- Maintain a safe speed, especially in congested traffic and at night.
- Look in all directions before making any turn.
- Use caution if you are traveling directly into the sun’s glare on the water.
- Never operate when fatigued, stressed, or consuming alcohol.
- Be aware that floating debris is more common after heavy rainfall.