Vessel operators involved in an accident must report it.
- The operator or owner of a vessel involved in an accident must notify a harbor official, police officer, or the nearest police station as soon as possible if a person dies, disappears, or has injuries requiring medical treatment beyond first aid.
- The operator or owner of the vessel also must file a written accident report within 48 hours with the Hawaii DLNR if:
- A person dies or disappears from the vessel under circumstances that indicate death or injury or…
- A person is injured and requires medical treatment beyond first aid or…
- Damage to the vessel(s) or other property exceeds $2,000.
- All other boating accidents must be reported in writing within seven days.
- A boating accident report form (CG 3865) is available from the Hawaii DLNR website.