The USCG classifies paddleboards as vessels. When using a paddleboard outside of a swimming, surfing, or bathing area, certain requirements apply.
- Paddleboard users must comply with recreational boating laws and rules.
- Paddleboards must have:
- A life jacket for each person on board
- A sound-producing device such as a whistle
- Navigation lights when used between sunset and sunrise—this may be a flashlight or a headlamp with a white light
- Visual distress signals when used on federally controlled waters