Skip to main content

Course Outline

Requirements for vessel registration vary from state to state. In Hawaii, you must have a Hawaii Certificate of Number and registration stickers to operate your vessel legally on waters of the state. The only exceptions are:

  • Manually propelled recreational vessels
  • Recreational vessels that are eight feet or less in length and propelled solely by sail
  • Vessels registered in other states or countries using Hawaii waters for 60 days or less
  • Recreational vessels documented by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG)
  • Vessels owned by the United States government
  • A vessel’s lifeboat used solely for lifesaving purposes
  • Motorboats used exclusively for racing
  • Vessels with a valid temporary Certificate of Number
  • Motorboats whose propulsion machinery produces less than 5 horsepower
  • Unit 4 of 6
  • Topic 1 of 20
  • Page 1 of 5