Vessel operators towing a person(s) on water skis or any similar device have specific equipment and observer requirements.
- Except during tow-in surfing, all persons being towed behind a vessel on water skis, aquaplanes, or any similar device must wear a USCG–approved life jacket.
- Any vessel towing a person(s) on water skis, aquaplanes, or similar devices must be equipped with a ladder, step, or similar device that the towed person(s) can use to get back into the vessel.
- It is illegal for a vessel to tow a person(s) on water skis, aquaplane, or any similar device unless:
- A competent observer is on board, in addition to the vessel operator, to observe the person(s) being towed and report their progress to the operator or…
- The vessel has a rearview mirror that lets the vessel operator see the person(s) being towed on a 75-foot line and identify hand signals given by the towed person(s).