Mufflers and Noise Level Limits
Vessel operators may not hear sound signals or voices if the engine is not adequately muffled.
- The exhaust of every internal combustion engine on any vessel must be effectively muffled. That is, the engine’s exhaust must be muffled or suppressed at all times so as not to create excessive noise.
- It is unlawful to operate a vessel that exceeds a noise level of 90 dBA.
- Exceptions to the muffler requirement are made to:
- Vessels participating in races sanctioned by the USCG or New Jersey State Police
- Vessels with a race test permit issued by the State Police