Which Boats Require Registration?
Requirements for vessel registration vary from state to state. In New Jersey, all titled vessels must be registered. In addition, any vessel that is mechanically propelled, regardless of length, must be registered. Recreational vessels that are exempt from registration include:
- Non-powered vessels 12 feet or less in length
- A non-powered, inflatable vessel; a surfboard; a racing shell; or a tender used for no other purpose than direct transportation between a vessel and the shore
- A non-powered kayak or canoe
- A non-powered sailboat or vessel used exclusively on small lakes and ponds wholly within private lands
- Vessels properly registered in another state or documented vessels from another state that operate on New Jersey waters on a transient basis