New Jersey law requires the following with respect to PFDs.
- All vessels must have at least one USCG–approved wearable Type I, II, or III, or V PFD for each person on board or being towed. All vessels 16 feet or longer, except canoes and kayaks, also must carry one USCG–approved throwable Type IV device.
- All children 12 years of age or younger must wear a PFD whenever they are on a vessel that is underway unless they are in a fully enclosed, non-removable cabin.
- A PWC may not be operated unless each person on board is wearing a USCG–approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD.
- Every person being towed behind a vessel on water skis, aquaplanes, or any similar devices must wear a USCG–approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD.
- All PFDs must be in good and serviceable condition and be readily accessible. The PFDs must be of the proper size for the intended wearer. Sizing for PFDs is based on body weight and chest size.