The registration number and validation decals must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to both sides of the bow.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the bow.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high BLOCK letters.
- Number’s color must contrast sharply with its background.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space or hyphen: NC 0000 AB or NC-0000-AB.
- No other numbers may be displayed on either side of the bow.
- Decals must be affixed on both the starboard (right) and port (left) sides of the vessel. They should be placed within six inches following the registration number.
Personal watercraft also are required to display the registration number and validation decals.