The following are the requirements for vessel operators on North Carolina waters.
- A person born on or after January 1, 1988, may operate a vessel with a motor of 10 horsepower or greater on North Carolina waters only if he or she:
- Completes or passes a boating safety course that is approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) and accepted by the NCWRC or…
- Has proof of other boating safety education in compliance with state laws (G.S. 75A-16.2).
- Anyone operating a vessel with a motor of 10 horsepower or more who is required to have boating safety education must:
- Carry on board his or her boater education certification card or other proof of compliance and…
- Make the card or other proof available upon request by an enforcement officer.