Here are some additional facts about titling and registering your vessel.
- All vessels 17 feet long or longer must have a title when purchased new, transferred, or a lien exists against the vessel. Inflatables, kayaks, and canoes are exempt from titling.
- A Registration Certificate is valid for three years and expires on April 30 of the last calendar year of the registration period. Owners of vessels that have been registered previously may be sent a renewal notice to their residence.
- The owner of a vessel that requires registration must apply for the registration within 30 days of the date of purchase or date of transfer of ownership.
- If a numbered vessel is abandoned or destroyed, or if the owner's address or name is changed, the owner must notify the County Recorder within 10 days of the event.
- If you lose or destroy your Registration Certificate or decals, you must apply for a duplicate and pay the required fees.
- Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG). Call the USCG at 1-800-799-8362 for more information. Documented vessels also must be registered and display only the registration decals.