Preparing for Paddling
Before departing, a small boat operator prepares for safety by doing the following.
- Practice reboarding your craft in the water with the help of a companion.
- Dress properly for the weather and type of boating. Be prepared for unintended water entry.
- Check your craft for leaks.
- Map a general route and timetable when embarking on a long trip. Arrange for your vehicles to be shuttled to the takeout point.
- Know the weather conditions before you head out. While out, watch the weather and stay close to shore. Head for shore if the waves increase.