To protect yourself and others against CO poisoning while boating:
- Allow fresh air to circulate throughout the boat at all times, even during bad weather.
- Know where your engine and generator exhaust outlets are located and keep everyone away from these areas.
- Never sit on the back deck, “teak surf,” or hang on the swim platform while the engines are running.
- Never enter areas under swim platforms where exhaust outlets are located—even for a second. One or two breaths in this area could be fatal.
- Ventilate immediately if exhaust fumes are detected on the boat.
- Install and maintain CO detectors inside your boat. Replace detectors as recommended by the manufacturer.