Oklahoma law states that these dangerous operating practices are illegal.
Reckless Operation of a vessel or the reckless manipulation of water skis, a parasail, a surfboard, or similar device is the failure to exercise the care necessary to prevent the endangerment of life, limb, or property of any other person. Examples of illegal and reckless operation are:
- Boating in restricted areas without regard for other boaters or persons, posted speeds and wake restrictions, diver-down flags, etc.
- Failing to stop or yield to an authorized emergency vessel making an audible or visible signal
- Operating, or giving permission to operate, a vessel when wind warnings have been posted or other hazardous weather conditions exist that pose a risk to persons or property
Careless Operation is operating, or giving permission to operate, a vessel in a manner that is not careful and prudent. Examples of careless operation are:
- Parking, mooring, or beaching a vessel within or at the edge of a marked swimming area
- Causing danger or damage from the wake of your vessel