Reporting an Accident
An accident report form must be submitted to the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety, Lake Patrol Section if the accident results in:
- Death or disappearance of a person or ...
- Injury to a person requiring medical treatment beyond first aid or ...
- Property damage (including damage to vessels) in excess $2,000.
Reports of deaths or disappearances must be made by the quickest means possible to the local police department, county sheriff’s office, or highway patrol office.
An operator involved in a boating accident must submit to testing for the presence of alcohol, drugs, or other intoxicating substances if he or she:
- Is under arrest for boating under the influence and …
- Is believed to have caused the death or serious physical injury of a person while intoxicated.
If an operator 16 years old or older, operating in a reckless manner, causes an accident resulting in the death of another person (either immediately or within one year of the accident), the operator will be guilty of negligent homicide.