Specific PFD Requirements
Oklahoma law requires the following with respect to personal flotation devices (life jackets).
- All vessels must carry one wearable (Type I, II, III, or V) U.S. Coast Guard–approved PFD for each person on board.
- In addition to the above requirement, vessels 16 feet in length or longer must have one Type IV U.S. Coast Guard–approved PFD on board and readily accessible.
- All PFDs must be in good and serviceable condition and must be readily accessible. The PFDs must be of the proper size for the intended wearer. Sizing for PFDs is based on body weight and chest size.
- Children under 13 years of age must wear a PFD whenever underway on a vessel less than 26 feet in length.
- Each person on a personal watercraft or sailboard must wear an approved PFD.
- Anyone being towed on water skis or similar devices must wear an approved PFD. Ski belts are not approved PFDs.