- Put the fill cap on tightly to prevent vapors from escaping.
- Open all windows, ports, doors, and other openings.
- If your boat is equipped with a power ventilation system (exhaust blower), turn it on for at least four minutes before starting your engine. This will help eliminate fuel vapors in the bilge.
- Before starting the engine, sniff the bilge and engine compartment for fuel vapors. Continue ventilating until you cannot smell any fuel vapors. Consider installing a gas vapor detection and alarm device.
- Start the engine and then reload your passengers.