Float Plan for Extended Outings
For extended outings on the water, leave a float plan with a relative or friend, or at least a local marina. You should leave a float plan that:
- Describes the vessel, including its registration number, length, make, horsepower, and engine type.
- Includes the description and license plate of the tow vehicle and trailer.
- Gives the number of passengers, their names and addresses, and a contact in case of emergency.
- States where you are going, the detailed route, your planned departure time, and your expected return time. Include the location of all stopping points, dates, and times.
- Gives the phone number for local authorities in case you fail to return when expected. If boating on waters under U.S. Coast Guard jurisdiction, give the phone number of the U.S. Coast Guard.