The registration number and validation decals must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to both sides of the bow as high above the water line as practical.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the bow.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high BLOCK letters.
- Number's color must contrast with the color of the background and be distinctly visible and legible.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space or hyphen: MC 3717 ZW or MC-3717-ZW.
- No other numbers may be displayed on either side of the bow.
- Decals must be affixed on each side of the vessel and placed three inches after the last character of the registration number.