Skip to main content

Course Outline

Here are some additional facts about titling and registering your vessel.

  • All vessels that are 20 feet long or longer or have a permanently affixed engine must be titled also.
  • A Certificate of Number is valid for three years. The Certificate of Number may be renewed on the Secretary of State website.
  • As the owner of a vessel, you must notify the Secretary of State and surrender your Certificate of Number within 15 days if:
    • Your vessel is abandoned or destroyed or…
    • Your vessel is sold or ownership is otherwise transferred or…
    • You change your address.
  • If you lose or destroy your Certificate of Number or decal, you must apply to the Secretary of State for a duplicate and submit a processing fee.
  • Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG). Call the USCG at 1-800-799-8362 for more information. Documented vessels are required to be registered also.
  • Unit 4 of 6
  • Topic 1 of 19
  • Page 4 of 5