Displaying the Registration Number and Validation Decal
The registration number and validation decal must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to both sides of the bow.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the bow.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high BLOCK letters (no script).
- Number must be maintained to be legible.
- Number’s color must contrast sharply with its background.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space or hyphen equal to the width of the letter: NM 3717 AA or NM-3717-AA.
- No other numbers may be displayed on either side of the bow.
- Validation decal must be placed on the port (left) side of the vessel and six inches to the right (rear) of the registration number. (Please remember to remove old decals.)