Vessel operators towing a person(s) on water skis or any similar devices have specific equipment and observer requirements.
- All persons being towed must wear a USCG–approved Type I, II, or III PFD.
- Every motorboat (other than a PWC) towing a person(s) on water skis or a similar device must have:
- An observer, in addition to the vessel operator, on board or…
- A device, such as a wide-angle rearview mirror, that gives the operator an unobstructed view of the person or object being towed.
- Every PWC towing a person(s) on water skis or a similar device must have:
- Manufacturer-approved seating for at least three people with a vacant seat for the skier and…
- An observer on board, in addition to the operator.
- Vessels towing a person(s) on water skis or a similar device must carry on board a bright red or orange skier-down flag. The flag must be displayed whenever the towed person(s) is in the water, and must be visible in all directions.