Displaying the Registration Number and Validation Decal
If your vessel requires registration, it is illegal to operate it or allow others to operate your vessel unless it is registered and numbered as described below.
The registration number and validation decal must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to both sides of the bow.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the bow.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high BLOCK letters (no script).
- Number must be maintained to be legible.
- Number’s color must contrast sharply with its background.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space or hyphen equal to the width of the letter: NM 3717 AA or NM-3717-AA.
- No other numbers may be displayed on either side of the bow.
- Decal must be placed on the port (left) side of the vessel and six inches to the right (rear) of the registration number. (Please remember to remove old decals.)