Skip to main content

Course Outline

Here are some additional facts about titling and registering your vessel.

  • All vessels must be titled. The only exceptions are:
    • Vessels documented by the USCG
    • Rowboats, paddleboats, and sailboards
  • You must obtain a separate title for all outboard motors of five horsepower or greater. Battery-operated trolling motors are an exception.
  • A Certificate of Number is valid for one year. Failure to renew within 30 days of the expiration date will result in a penalty.
  • If you change your address, you must call or write the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR) within 30 days.
  • If you abandon or destroy your vessel or motor, you must report it to the SCDNR within 10 days and surrender your Certificate of Number and title.
  • If you lose or destroy your Certificate of Number, title, or decal, you must apply to the SCDNR for a duplicate and submit a processing fee.
  • Vessels that are currently registered in another state may operate on South Carolina waters for 60 days before South Carolina registration and numbering are required.
  • Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the USCG. Call the USCG at 1-800-799-8362 for more information.
  • Registration and title application forms can be obtained from:
    • SCDNR, Boat Titling and Registration Office
    • Many marine dealers
    • Most Department of Natural Resources offices
  • Unit 4 of 6
  • Topic 1 of 20
  • Page 4 of 5