Requirements to Tow a Person With a Vessel
Vessel operators towing a person(s) on water skis, a surfboard, or any other device have specific equipment and observer requirements.
- Those being towed must wear a USCG–approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD.
- Every vessel towing a person(s) on water skis, a surfboard, or a similar device must have on board:
- A person, in addition to the boat operator, observing the towed person(s) or...
- A wide-angle rearview mirror mounted such that the operator can observe the towed person(s) at all times.
- If an observer is used when towing a person behind a PWC, the PWC must be rated for three people—the operator, the observer, and the retrieved skier.