Skip to main content

Course Outline

Here are some additional facts about registering your vessel.

  • Registrations are issued on a staggered basis each year. The first letter of the owner's last name determines the renewal month.
  • If you change address, you must notify the DPS-Marine Patrol Division within 15 days of the change.
  • If a numbered vessel is destroyed, stolen, abandoned, or lost, the owner should report it to the DPS-Marine Patrol Division within 15 days of the event.
  • If you lose or destroy your Certificate of Number, you must apply to the issuing office for a duplicate and submit a processing fee.
  • Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG). Call the USCG at 1-800-799-8362 for more information. Recreational vessels that are documented must also be registered in Alabama.
  • Alabama law does not require registration of boat trailers or titling of vessels.
  • Unit 4 of 6
  • Topic 1 of 19
  • Page 4 of 5