The registration number and validation decals must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to both sides of the bow and placed where it can be easily read.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the bow.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high BLOCK letters (not slanted).
- Number's color must sharply contrast with its background.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space or hyphen: AL 3717 ZW or AL-3717-ZW.
- No other numbers may be displayed on either side of the bow.
- Decals must be affixed on each side of the vessel. They should be placed within six inches before or after, and in line with, the registration number.