All vessels are required to have a Type B USCG—approved fire extinguisher on board if one or more of the following conditions exist:
- Inboard or inboard/outboard engines
- Closed compartments under seats where portable fuel tanks may be stored
- Permanently installed fuel tanks
- Closed or semi-closed living spaces
- Devices on board that consume petroleum products (e.g., stoves, lanterns)
Approved types of fire extinguishers are identified by the following marking on the label—"Marine Type USCG Approved"—followed by the type and size symbols and the approval number.