The following requirements apply to out-of-state residents.
- If you are under 12 years of age: You may not obtain your Alabama boater safety certification, and you may not operate a vessel under any circumstances.
- If you are 12 or 13 years of age: You may operate a vessel on Alabama waters only if supervised on board by a person who:
- Is at least 21 years of age and...
- Carries a valid proof of his or her Alabama boater safety certification (unless the supervising person is also a non-resident in which case he or she is not required to have Alabama boater safety certification) and...
- Is in position to take immediate physical control of the vessel.
- If you are 14 years of age or older: You may operate a motorized vessel legally on Alabama waters for up to 45 days per calendar year without supervision. After 45 days, you must have a valid proof of boater safety certification (either Alabama non-resident certification or certification from your home state).