Alabama law requires the following with respect to PFDs.
- All vessels must carry one USCG–approved wearable PFD for each person on board or being towed. If a wearable special-use PFD is used, it must be approved for the activity at hand.
- One USCG–approved throwable PFD must be on board vessels 16 feet long or longer, in addition to the requirement above.
- Children under 8 years of age must wear a properly secured USCG–approved PFD at all times while on board any vessel, except when in an enclosed cabin.
- Each person on board a PWC must wear a properly secured USCG–approved PFD.
- Each person being towed behind a vessel must wear a properly secured USCG–approved PFD.
- Each person on board a vessel within 800 feet below a hydroelectric dam and/or navigational lock and dam must wear a USCG–approved PFD.
- All PFDs must be in good and serviceable condition and be readily accessible. The PFDs must be of the proper size for the intended wearer. Sizing for PFDs is based on body weight and chest size.