Owners of any watercraft located in Maine, including documented watercraft, must pay their annual excise tax.
- Maine residents pay the tax to the town where they reside.
- Non-residents or corporations pay the tax to the Maine town where the watercraft is principally moored, docked, or located.
These watercraft are not required to pay the excise tax:
- A lifeboat or raft carried by another watercraft
- A watercraft that is for sale by a dealer
- A commercial watercraft that has no established base of operation in Maine
- A watercraft that is not in Maine for more than 75 days
- A manually propelled watercraft 20 feet or less in length
- A watercraft exempt from property tax