Buckets of Trouble
Some individuals are thoughtlessly jeopardizing the future of Maine’s native fisheries by introducing exotic species into state waters. These non-sportsmen illegally stock the types of fish they prefer to catch, without regard for the environmental havoc they are inflicting. Illegal stocking may cause irreversible changes to Maine’s entire aquatic ecosystem, creating costly issues with limited solutions.
- Please help fight this serious problem by remaining observant and reporting those who are committing these illegal acts.
- It is illegal to transport live fish without a permit.
- It is illegal to dump unused baitfish into any waterway.
- There is a $10,000 fine for a conviction of illegal stocking.
- There is a $2,000 reward for information leading to a conviction.
- To report information about the illegal introduction of any fish into any Maine water, please call:
- 1-800-ALERT-US (253-7887) in-state.
- 207-287-6057 out-of-state.
- U.S. Cellular and Maine Wireless dial #GW.
- Unicel dial *GW.
- To report a fish or wildlife violation, visit the Maine Operation Game Thief website.