These watercraft are exempt from PFD requirements.
- Licensed canoes owned by a summer camp and used for teaching by a camp counselor at least 18 years old while within 500 feet of the camp’s shoreline
- Log rafts with no more than two persons on board and used on ponds, lakes, or inland waters less than 50 acres in area
- Float tubes whether or not being used for fishing
These persons are exempt from the PFD requirements.
- Persons on board a watercraft of the United States operated by foreign competitors while practicing for, or racing in competition, provided there is on board the watercraft one of the sponsoring foreign country’s acceptable flotation devices for each competitor on board
- Persons within territorial waters while utilizing a beach toy or surfboard in the narrow limits of a swimming, surfing, or bathing area
- Persons within inland waters while utilizing a beach toy or surfboard in the narrow limits of a swimming area, such as a state park swimming area that is roped off and/or has buoys designating the area
- Persons actively engaged in competitive racing or training while in racing sculls, racing canoes, and racing kayaks that are recognized by national racing associations for use in competitive racing