The use of stand-up paddleboards (SUPs) is growing in popularity in Maine. All paddleboards are SUPs. The USCG classifies SUPs as watercraft.
When using an SUP, certain requirements apply.
- SUP users must comply with recreational watercraft laws and rules.
- SUPs must have:
- A PFD for each person on board
- A sound-producing device such as a whistle
- Navigation lights when used between sunset and sunrise—this may be a flashlight or a headlamp with a white light
- Visual distress signals when used on territorial waters between sunset and sunrise