Operating a PWC
In South Dakota, these are the operating laws for PWC.
- PWC may not be operated between the hours of sunset and sunrise unless equipped with the required navigation lights.
- It is illegal to operate a PWC at greater than “slow, no wake speed” within 150 feet of:
- A dock
- A swimmer
- A swimming raft
- A non-motorized boat
- PWC must be operated in a responsible manner at all times. Maneuvers that endanger people or property are prohibited, including:
- Weaving a PWC through congested waterway traffic
- Jumping the wake of another vessel unreasonably close to the other vessel or when visibility around the other vessel is obstructed
- Waiting until the last possible moment to swerve and avoid collision
- It is illegal to chase, harass, or disturb wildlife with a PWC.
- It is illegal to operate a PWC through emergent floating vegetation at greater than “slow, no wake speed.”