Vessel operators towing a person(s) on water skis, a surfboard, or other devices have specific equipment and observer requirements.
- Vessels towing a person on water skis or other devices must have at least one USCG–approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD for each person on board or being towed. Inflatable PFDs are not approved for persons being towed.
- When a vessel is towing a person on water skis, a surfboard, or other devices, there must be a means to observe the person being towed. The vessel must have either:
- A competent person on board, in addition to the operator, to act as an observer or...
- A wide-angle (at least 160 degrees) rearview mirror positioned so that the operator can view the towed person.
- If towing a skier with a PWC, the PWC should be rated for at least three people—the operator, the observer, and the person being towed.