Skip to main content

Course Outline

Here are some additional facts about titling and registering your vessel.

  • Boats over 12 feet in length and all motorized boats purchased or acquired by a resident of South Dakota on or after July 1, 1993, are required to be titled. Canoes, inflatable boats, kayaks, sailboards, and seaplanes cannot be titled.
  • Damage disclosure is required on all vessels that apply for a Certificate of Title if the vessel is six years old or less. Damage disclosure must be made if the vessel has incurred damage in excess of $5,000 at any one time or if the vessel has damage in excess of $5,000 that has not been repaired.
  • Vessels are registered for a one-year period.
  • If a Certificate of Number (registration card) or validation decal is lost or destroyed, the vessel owner must apply to the county treasurer in the applicant's county of residence for a duplicate.
  • Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the USCG. Call the USCG at 1-800-799-8362 for more information. Documented vessels on South Dakota waters are required to be registered but not titled. They must display the validation decals but are not required to display the registration number.
  • Unit 4 of 6
  • Topic 1 of 19
  • Page 4 of 5