Reporting an Accident
A vessel operator involved in a boating accident must report the accident if it results in:
- Death or disappearance of any person or...
- Injury to any person or...
- Damage in excess of $1,000 to any one person’s property or total damage in excess of $2,000. For example, property damage may include damage from striking submerged objects such as stumps, rocks, etc.
Accidents must be reported immediately, by the quickest means of communication, to the nearest SDGFP officer or other law enforcement officer.
- In the event the operator is incapable of reporting the accident, another occupant of the vessel involved in the accident must provide notification of the accident.
- Any operator or occupant who fails to give the required accident report to a law enforcement officer is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.