The procedure for buying or selling, or otherwise acquiring, a vessel or motor is outlined here. The steps are essentially the same whether the “seller” is a marine dealer or an individual or whether the “buyer” is purchasing a new or pre-owned vessel.
- The seller completes the appropriate application form(s).
- PWD 143, the blue-striped form, is used to buy or sell a new or used vessel.
- PWD 144, the green-striped form, is used to buy or sell an outboard motor.
- The buyer reviews and signs the form(s), and the seller assigns the title(s) to the buyer (if titles have been issued).
- This procedure must be completed no later than 20 days from the date of purchase in order to avoid a penalty. The following items are submitted to TPWD.
- Completed and signed blue and green application forms.
- Assigned titles, bill of sale, or proof of registration (supporting documents; Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin, also known as MSO; titles; etc.).
- All required state fees and sales tax (listed on back of the forms). Note: Fees are based on the size of your vessel, so be sure you know the length before selling or buying a vessel.
- TPWD will send the buyer a new title and Certificate of Number in the buyer’s name.