Requirements to Tow a Person With a Vessel
Vessel operators towing a person(s) on water skis, aquaplanes, surfboards, inner tubes, or any similar devices have specific equipment and observer requirements.
- Every vessel towing a person(s) on water skis or a similar device must have:
- An observer, other than the vessel operator, 13 years of age or older on board or…
- A wide-angle rearview mirror.
- The size of the mirror must be no less than four inches in size from bottom to top and across from side to side. It should be mounted firmly to give the vessel operator a full, complete view beyond the rear of the vessel at all times.
- PWC operators who are towing skiers should be aware that their factory-installed rearview mirror may not comply with Texas regulations. A wide-angle mirror is needed for adequate viewing of a skier.
- PWC have rating requirements that must be met when towing people.
- A PWC must be rated for at least two people when towing a person on water skis or a similar device.
- If an observer is used, the PWC must be rated for three people—the operator, the observer, and the retrieved skier.