Skip to main content

Course Outline

Here are some additional facts about registering your vessel.

  • A vessel that must be registered also must have a certificate of title unless the vessel was acquired by the owner before January 1, 1986.
  • Although there are exemptions from titling, you still may want to title your vessel. A title verifies ownership in case the vessel is stolen.
  • If you lose or destroy your certificate of registration, you must apply to the BMV for a duplicate and pay a processing fee.
  • Registration information must be kept current.
    • If you change your address, you must notify a BMV License Branch within 31 days of the change.
    • If you transfer ownership of your vessel or if it is destroyed, you should report it to your local BMV License Branch within 45 days.
  • Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG). Call the USCG at 1-800-799-8362 for more information. USCG–documented vessels also must be registered but are exempt from displaying the “IN” registration number.
  • Unit 4 of 6
  • Topic 1 of 19
  • Page 4 of 6