The registration number and validation decals must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to both sides of the bow.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the bow.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high BLOCK letters.
- Number's color must contrast sharply with its background.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space or hyphen; for example: KA 123 AB or KA-123-AB.
- Registration decals must be affixed in line with the assigned number on each side of the vessel.
- No numbers other than the one assigned should be displayed on the forward half of the vessel.
Sailboards are required to display only the registration decal, which should be attached to the front half of the top of the sailboard.